- Why do you need to clone a hard drive?
- Preparation before cloning a hard drive?
- Best Method to Clone a Hard Drive
- Booting by using UEFI:-
- Also See:
- The Complete Guide Uber for X Clone in 2022
- How Can Entrepreneurs Launch a Clone of UberEats?
- Enable Instant Messaging With White-Label WhatsApp Clone App
Cloning a hard drive is an easy and most secure way to solve many issues of the computer, especially storage related issues. Clone a hard drive allows you to create a copy of the hard drive which is bootable and you can use this copied drive to back-up or transfer your data from one drive to another.
Apart from this you can use disk cloning for copy over your windows 10 installation as per your choices. In this article, we will provide you some technical ways in a simple manner so that you can develop a proper understanding of clone a hard drive.
Hard drives store many types of your personal as well as professional data and it’s a good idea to protect this data by creating an extra copy through hard drive cloning. Usually, users prefers to clone the hard drive due to follow major reasons:-
- For upgradation of drive
- For transfer of bulk data from one drive to another
- For creating a backup.
- For improving the performance of computers.
You have to take a few steps before cloning a hard drive. For this purpose you may need some sophisticated tools.
- Backup any crucial data in some external drive so that if anything goes wrong during cloning a hard drive your data remains safe.
- The hard drive that you’re cloning must have sufficient space to store all data otherwise it will lead to loss of data.
- You should have prepared to open your device.
- Make sure that your computer is fully charged.
After making all preparations now you are reading to clone your hard drive.
You must know that windows 10 doesn’t have inbuilt utility to deal with the hard drive cloning process. So, you need to use any external utility for this purpose. There are some software like clonezilla, EaseUS, AOMEI backupper standard, Macrium reflect etc available. But in this article we choose Macrium reflect free software which is considered as the best tool for cloning a hard drive.
1. Open the software in your laptop.
A list of connected devices will be shown on your screen. Now you have two options, you can clone directly from one drive to another or you can create an image of the disk.
Now choose the disk that you want to copy and click on the clone this disk option if you’re adopting the first way i.e. direct cloning.
2. Choose a destination for clone:-
Select the drive in which you want to copy your data. Click on the delete existing partitions to erase the data from the designated drive.
3. Scheduled hard drive clone:-
In this step, you can schedule the hard drive cloning if you want to clone all data at one time then unselect or skip it
4. Boot from the cloned drive:-
Now the cloning process has been initiated and it will take its own time depending upon the size of data in the drive. Once the cloning process finishes you can boot it by selecting it in your BIOS.
Enter BIOS:- If you want to boot your computer by using the cloned data rather than the original drive then you need to enter BIOS. You need to know that in newer laptops the BIOS has been successfully replaced by an improved interface known as UEFI. In this section of the article, we will help you to learn how to use BIOS as well as UEFI for the booting process.
Booting via BIOS:- There are some specified keys to use the BIOS in laptops or computers like F12, F2, Esc, or delete. In this BIOS you need to choose the ‘boot order’ option. Now you can select the cloned drive that you want to use.
It’s the improved interface of BIOS which is available in new laptops. You have to perform the following steps for booting via UEFI:-
- Open the windows menu in the left corner of the screen.
- Click power and then shift the key for some duration.
- Click on the restart option.
- After restarting, an advanced configuration option will be displayed on the laptop screen.
- Click on the troubleshoot>advanced options>UEFI firmware settings. Now click on the restart option.
- You can give commands to your computer to use a cloned drive.
In this article, we provide you with how to clone your drive. It will enhance the performance of your computer as well as improve the storage space in your laptop. There are a lot of utilities that can be used for hard drive cloning tools for Windows pc doesn’t provide inbuilt software for the same purpose. If you want to transfer huge files from one drive to another and want to recover your data through backup then hard drive cloning is a highly efficient way.
There are some key points that you should keep in mind before cloning a hard drive so that your data remains safe and secure even if something goes wrong. Hence, in this way you can improve the performance of your computer. If you have any questions regarding how to clone a hard drive on your laptop then you can contact us. Thanks and have a nice day!