Recording audio is one of the basic tasks we perform while using Mac devices. The reason can be any like if you want to record sounds for creating music, live streaming, creating quick notes, recording discussions, creating voice overs for a product demo or other work. Mac offers inbuilt audio recording tools like Voice Memos and Quick Time that use a built-in microphone and other external audio devices to record audio on Mac. Apart from this, you can also use third-party tools like GarageBand for getting more options like editing, mixing and other advanced features for creating your own music.
If you are using third-party apps to record audio then you must have an external microphone as the built-in mic doesn’t offer high sound quality. To record basic recordings you can use the built-in tools of Mac such as voice memos or Quick Time with simple editing features. For more advanced audio recording you can use third-party applications that offer powerful features.
Based on your work you can choose between the inbuilt tools or third-party apps. Like if you want to record podcasts, create your music, voiceovers or any other professional work use third-party apps with an external mic that has good sound quality. Now, without any delay let’s discuss several ways to record audio on Mac.
Method 1: Record Audio Using Voice Memos
You can easily record audio using Voice Memos. It is quite easy and you need to follow the basic steps for executing this method:
- Firstly, go to the application folder and search for voice memos and click on it.
- When you are ready to record sound press the huge red circle icon to start the recording.
- If you want to stop recording click on the pause icon given at the bottom of the left side.
- If you wish to resume the recording click the resume icon.
- When you are completed with the recording audio you can click on done option given in the right side of the page bottom.
- After that, click on new recordings to give the name to your file.
- You can open your recordings anytime and also edit them by clicking on the edit option given at the top right of the page.
- Using voice memos you can also share these recordings with whomsoever you want by clicking on the share icon given top right of the page.
- You can also delete the recording by clicking on the trash icon.
Apart from Voice Memos, you can also use Quick Time Player for recording audios on Mac.
Method 2: Use QuickTime to Record Audio on Mac
Quicktime is better than Voice Memos as it offers more ease to handle. Follow the given below steps to use Quicktime:
- Go to the Applications folder and search for QuickTime Player.
- Launch Quicktime Player and then click the file given at the top of the window.
- After that click on the new audio recording.
- A small audio recording window will appear. Click on the red circle icon to start recording.
- If you want to choose the mic and file quality click on the arrow which is pointing downwards next to the red circle.
- When you are done click the stop icon.
- Then click file, after click saves and choose the file name and location to save the saves.
- You can edit the recording files and also share them using email or other programs.
Method 3: Use n-Track Studio to Record Audio on Mac
N-Track is a multi-track audio recorder for mac that offers features to mix and edit your tracks. It is a powerful and advanced tool that allows recording music, mixing tracks and live performances. The tool has a huge library that consists of several effects, a screen recorder, a drum synthesizer, etc. It also allows layered music recording.
Below are the steps you need to follow to execute this method:
- Launch n-track Studio application.
- Now, go to the left side of the window and check the recording settings and also change them according to your desire for the results of the recording
- Now, click on the recording icon at the left side of the page bottom.
- Now, play the instruments or sing vocals for the track
- After that hit the stop option.
- Repeat the third and fourth steps.
- Now, go to the recorded audio bits and edit them.
- Apply effects or modify track settings.
- At last, save your work.
By following the above steps you can easily record multi tracks and create your work effortlessly. Method 4: Use GarageBand to Record Audio on Mac
Another app you can use to record multi-track is GarageBand. If you are more involved in mixing and creating music then this is the best option to choose. It offers several features like music lessons, presets for various instruments, vocals and genres.
You can easily start recording in GarageBand by simply clicking on the record icon. You can also edit the recorded segment with the advanced tools offered by the application. It also allows you to mix tracks and when the editing completes saving your recording.
In this article, we have discussed several methods through which you can easily record audio like creating music, recording instruments, podcasts, live performances or other purposes. You can use the Mac built-in audio recorders or third party tools for recording audio. Following the steps properly will help you execute all the methods easily.
Whether you are using any tool you can perform edit functions and also share the recordings. Make sure to have high quality external audio hardware if you want recordings at the professional level. I hope the article would be useful for you and help you in using audio recorder tools.